Monday, January 23, 2012

Tea Marbled Eggs

I found this recipe over at Steamy Kitchen. It looked awesome, so I had to try it for myself.



Ingredients
6 eggs
3/4 cup soy sauce
2 star anise
2 tablespoons black tea (or 2 tea bags)
1 cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon sugar

I halved the recipe... and I think that may be why my marbling wasn't very dark. It still looked cool, though! I also used different tea, since I don't buy black, which may have been another reason for the lack of dark marbling.

Boil the eggs. I steamed mine until they were done. Tap the shell all over with a spoon (lightly) to crack it, but do not break the shell off (she has some awesome tips and pics on her site... go check them out if you need). Place all the other ingredients in the water used to boil the eggs... as it should still be hot. Place eggs in the mixture, bring to a boil, and then lower heat and simmer for 40 minutes (this mixture smells oh so good!). Remove from heat and let sit overnight (she did 5 hours... mine sat for 13, haha, as I forgot about them). Peel and enjoy!

No comments: