Friday, May 31, 2013

A Meatless Day

Today I decided to make meals meatless.  I used to do this twice per week ages ago, and have since stopped for some unknown reason.  So, today is meatless day.  For fun, I figured I'd post the meals we had and their recipes (if necessary).

Breakfast -
old fashioned oatmeal cooked with berries, cinnamon, and honey. 
toasted buns with pb and bananas

Lunch -
bean burritos
no sugar gluten free chocolate chip cookie dough dip

Snack -
fruit (apples, oranges, that sort of thing)

Supper -
Stir fry with rice, veggies, and freshly sprouted lentils.
chocolate avocado pudding


The no sugar gluten free cookie dough dip is amazing.  Found the recipe on Pinterest.  You can get it here.  Never thought chickpeas and dates would make for such great stuff!

Sprouting lentils is new to me, too!  I'll post more on that later.  The stir fry is basically cooking all your veggies in a bit of oil for a bit with some soya sauce, making rice, and serving with soya sauce.  Super simple.  I learned how to do this back in seventh grade in home economics class.

Not only is it great to have a day without meat for digestive health, it also reduces costs a bit.  Beans are way cheaper than ground beef, and the bean burrito meal cost us less than $1.50 for a family of 4!  I cannot be certain how much exactly since I can only know that the tortillas cost $0.15 (and there are leftovers), the beans were less than $0.75, and the rest is unknown.  And the beans made as much as one pound of beef!  I only used about 1.5 cups dry... and we still have some left.  Next time I make burritos we'll be throwing the leftovers in with the beef.

No comments: