Thursday, June 12, 2008

Carrot-Coconut Cookies

Today I wanted to bring cookies to a friends house for supper, and since I already had chocolate chip, I figured I'd try something I've never made before, these Carrot Coconut Cookies, as they looked "healthy" in the sense that they add veggies to a "treat". They took a bit for me to make as I hadn't planned in advance. I suggest cooking an extra amount of carrots next time you make them for supper, and then mashing them or however you choose to do so later so you decrease prep time. This recipe came from Betty Crocker's cookbook.

I'll warn you, these cookies are good!

Carrot-Coconut Cookies


Ingrediants

1 cup mashed cooked carrots (about 4 medium or 20 baby)
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup shortening (I used 1/2 shortening, 1/2 butter)
2 eggs
2 cups all purpose or whole wheat flour (I did half and half, next time will be all WW)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup shredded/flaked coconut
Frosting

1. Heat oven to 400F. Mix sugar and shortening, then add carrots and eggs. Mix in flour, baking powder, and salt mix. Stir in coconut.

2. Drop dough by teaspoonfuls on cookie sheet (un-greased if nonstick). Bake until almost no indentation remains when touched, or 8-9 minutes.

3. Immediately remove from cookie sheet and cool. Frost with Orange Butter Frosting.

Makes about 3-5 dozen.

Orange Butter Frosting

Mix 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar into 2-3 tablespoons of softened butter (little at a time to prevent frustrations). Add 1-2 tablespoons of orange juice gradually until frosting is of spreading consistency.

No comments: