Friday, January 30, 2009

Sour Cream Coffee Cake

I got this recipe from the Mennonite Cook Book. My mom made it quite often and it is great to make use of that cream that has gone sour, or maybe the sour cream that is past the expiry date but still 'good'... yet you don't want to eat it the way it is anymore... that sort of thing. Keeps us from trashing/dumping perfectly good cream! As my dad says, how does sour cream go bad? It's already sour!

Sour Cream Coffee Cake


Ingredients

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
2 cups flour (I do half white, half whole wheat)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
dash salt
1 tsp vanilla

Mix in small bowl:
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup nuts (I usually omit these as I don't have them)

Preheat oven to 350F.
Cream butter and sugar. Add well beaten eggs. Mix dry ingredients and add alternatively with the sour cream. Add vanilla.

Pour half the batter in a greased tube pan (flour it as well if you feel the need... I usually don't bother). Sprinkle half the sugar/cinnamon mixture over it. Add remaining batter, and sprinkle the remaining mixture over it.

Bake at 350F for 40-50 minutes.

No comments: